I’ve noticed more and more recently that my life is very up and down. One hour/day/week I’m feeling motivated, efficient, hard working and light-hearted, and the next, feelings of despair, failure, guilt, anger or resentment are overwhelming me. On one side I am a super business mum and the other a self-critical procrastinating failing housewife.
What’s going on? Why do I let my emotions sabotage my life so frequently? Sometimes I can deal really well emotionally with what life (usually my kids) throws at me, but other times I succumb immediately to impatience, frustration, hopelessness or anger.
What can I do about it? Well here are some ideas:
1. Stop. Say stop. Shout stop. Write stop. Stop the negative thoughts in my head. Refuse to listen. Create white space instead.
2. Listen to my favourite music, calming, or inspiring, or fun.
3. Pick up my personal survival guide and read what I should say to myself in this particular situation.
4. Tell myself the emotion will pass and when it does I won’t feel so bad.
5. Go and lie down on my bed. Think about things I feel grateful for. (This last bit is very difficult, when I’m in the emotional depths.)
6. Get a hug from someone who loves me.